If you believe that you, or someone you know, requires extra help in their own home then there are a number of funding options to explore. The FIRST thing to do is to contact the Local Authority's Social Services Department and ask for a free assessment of your needs.

Fair Access To Care Assessment

Every local council in England uses a national framework from the Department of Health to decide eligibility criteria for the Adult Social Care services it provides. Your local social services department will send someone to give you a Care Assessment and decide your eligibility.

The Local Authority can not help everyone directly and can only give priority to people whose safety, health, welfare or independence  are considered to be at 'critical' or 'substantial' risk. However, the authority may consider your need to be 'moderate' or 'low' risk in which case you are still deemed to be in need of home care help. If the Local Authority assesses that you are in need for home care then financial assistance may be available depending on your personal financial state and circumstanceIf you have more than £21,500 in savings, or have enough income to afford it, then you will probably pay the whole cost of the service. 

It may be that after being assessed by the Local Authority you will be considered as a 'critical' or 'substantial' risk and as such they will finance, arrange and provide you with a home care service. Should they consider you to be a 'moderate' or 'low' risk then they may provide you with information on funding and a list of home care providers for you to explore. 

Private Funding

Anyone can arrange homecare services and fund it themselves. It is not something that has to be done through social services.  Our fees are very competitive so please contact us for a quote.

Direct Payments 

Direct Payments is a funding source available for people to apply for, after being considered to be at a 'critical' or 'substantial' risk, as assessed by your local authority. 

Direct Payments are cash payments that Social Services pay to you, instead of giving you a service.  This gives you the freedom to choose who you would like to provide your care and to specify the type of care services you want.  It also gives you the flexibility to alter the type of services if your needs change.

Individual (Personalised) Budgets

This is a scheme currently being piloted by the Government. An Individual Budget enables people entitled to funding for social care and associated services to decide the support and nature of the services they need.

More information about this scheme can be found on the Department of Health website:

Attendance Allowance 

This is a tax free benefit for people aged 65 and over who need help with personal care because they are mentally or physically disabled. It is a tax free benefit that is not means tested. The rates are (at the time of writing); High £64.50 and Low £43.15. Apply online or request a form from

Carer's Allowance

This is a benefit paid to people who care for a person who is disabled. You may be entitled to Carer's Allowance even if you are not related to, or live with, the person you care for. This is not means tested. The rate for Carer's Allowance is (at the time of writing); £46.95. To apply you must be aged 16 years or older, not in full time education, spending at least 35 hours a week caring for the person who is disabled or ill. Further details can be found here or telephone the benefits helpline on 0800 82200

Disability Living Allowance 

Disability Living Allowance is not means tested and is a tax free benefit for adults and children under 65 who need extra help with home and personal care or have difficulty with mobility. The rate for Disability Living Allowance is (at the time of writing); High £64.50, Middle £43.15 , Low £17.10. It also has a Mobility component with is; High £45.00, Low £17.10. You can claim online from Packs are also available from your local Jobcentre Plus office or local social security office. 

Independent Living Fund 

The Independent Living (1993) Fund is designed to help you, if you are disabled, you believe that you, or someone you know, requires extra help in their own home then there are a number of funding options to explore. The FIRST thing to do is to contact the Local Authority's Social Services Department and ask for a free assessment of your needs, to live independently at home instead of being in residential care. You can use the payments to employ a care service to give you personal and domestic care in your own home. The maximum payment is £455 per week. You can ask your local authority social services department for an Independent Living Fund application form. Or you can download an application form from

Continuing Healthcare

This is fully funded care for people who may not require care in an NHS acute hospital but who do require a high degree of ongoing health care.

For more information contact NHS Direct by phone on 0845 4647 or visit

© Copyright 2018 LIVE LIFE CAREWeb Design By Toolkit Websites
'use strict'; //hides helper button & expanding text $('.minimize').hide(); $('.expand-content').hide(); //init collapse container var initCollapse = function initCollapse() { $('.expand-container').each(function (i, elem) { var collapseBox = {}; var container = $(elem); var button = container.find('.expand-btn'); var settings = container.find('#settings'); collapseBox.easing = getEasing(button); collapseBox.speed = getSpeed(button); container.collapse = collapseBox; initButton(button, container); }); }; //init read more button var initButton = function initButton(button, container) { container.collapse.readMore = button.html(); container.collapse.readLess = button.siblings('.minimize').html(); button.on("click", function () { return switchButton(button, container); }); }; //expand container function var expandContainer = function expandContainer(content, easing, speed) { return content.slideToggle(speed, easing); }; //change button content var switchButton = function switchButton(button, container) { var content = container.find('.expand-content'); var easing = container.collapse.easing; var speed = container.collapse.speed; content.css('display') == 'none' ? (button.html(container.collapse.readLess), expandContainer(content, easing, speed)) : (button.html(container.collapse.readMore), expandContainer(content, easing, speed), returnTop(container, speed)); }; var returnTop = function returnTop(container, speed) { var top = container.offset().top; if ($(window).scrollTop() > top) { $('html, body').animate({ scrollTop: top }, speed); } }; //get speed and easing values var getEasing = function getEasing(elem) { return"ease"); }; var getSpeed = function getSpeed(elem) { return"speed"); }; window.addEventListener('load', function() { $(initCollapse); });